No seriously. Cheese Toasties. That’s right. I can’t get my son to eat sandwiches and my faded memories of grilled cheese sandwiches are 2 slices of white bread swimming in butter and Velveeta (shudder shudder). We had a play date this week with Mary and Caleb, and it’s always the way: you revisit old favorites with friends and bring the dishes back to your family menu. Well, maybe you’re a clever bunny and I’m a fluffy bunny, but I forgot about their moreish simplicity of melted cheese on bread. What’s more, you can posh them up with a rub of fresh garlic, a smattering of pesto, or quince chutney (ooh). Ooh, a spoon of Branston pickle in the mix might rock too.
For kids, it’s smart to keep it simple, playing with high quality organic ingredients: 12 grain bread, mature cheddar, and unsalted butter (there’s enough sodium in the bread and cheese). For my friends that are asking “where’s the green stuff,” Remember, you can always put a little salad on the side, or if you’re kids are averse to all things green, try the kid’s green smoothie in the previous post. That’ll work a treat.
12 slices of multigrain bread
2 cups mature cheddar, sliced medium thickness ( I love English, Irish, or New Zealand)
2 tbs unslated butter
smattering of marmite (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 100F.
2. If you’re using marmite, spread on one slice of each sandwich. Assemble the slices of bread and cheese and set aside.
3. Melt the butter on medium heat in a frying pan, taking care not to burn the butter. Lay on the sandwiches and cook 2 minutes on one side until golden brown, then flip to the other side for 2 minutes.
4. Lay the sandwich on a heatproof serving tray and keep warm in the oven until all of the sandwiches are done.
5. Repeat until the rest of the sandwiches are done.