All I can say is “OH MY GAWD, my life has been so crazy!” I have have descended deeper and deeper into a punishing abyss of “there goes another week of not blogging about my passion for all things healthy. When will I get a chance to say hello, how ya doin,’ sorry I can’t get back to you, but if you leave your name, and your number, I’ll get back to you.” And I’m still not completely back, but today I’ve put my foot down and said “enough is enough, I’m going to let that shiznit wait, ’cause I miss my creative conversation with y’all. It’s been too long amigos!
You must be wondering, “this girl’s just plain lazy.” Well, ya’ll are about to get schooled in Busy:
1. Motherhood and Marriage.
2. Construction in three rooms of our house…while living on site. Moving out of rooms, moving back into rooms….fun, fun, fun!
3. College, plus a 2 hour commute each day.
4. My son’s homework, plus my own homework: Statistics, Chemistry, and French.
5. Volunteering for my son’s organic program.
6. Cooking, cleaning, and laundry.
“Whaaaa.” Now that I’ve exercised my right to winge uncontrollably (we live in a democracy, don’t we?), it’s time to get back to bizniz: Spring is here! Whoopie, Wha Hey, Yahoo! Kale Pesto is the bomb! You are going to love this! Another fast and easy recipe that’s filled with vitamins and minerals, and wait, hold up, your kid might go out on a limb and love it too. My 5 year-old did (dang. go figure). All I can say is, HELLO, a major victory in the “how can I get my kid to eat more vegetables” department. Throw this recipe together in minutes, spread it on a piece of baguette (we lurve sourdough), whole meal bread, crackers, or crisp breads, and enjoy it as an appetizer to the main event, or cook some pasta, swirling in the kale pesto as a healthy twist on your regular pesto recipe.
2 cups kale (lacinto or curly)
1 cup basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
fresh juice of one lemon
1/4 cup raw pine nuts
3 tbs good olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Whizz all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender or Cuisinart. Season to taste. Spread on, or swirl in. Enjoy!