What a summer it’s been: Beachin’ it, barbeques, pool parties, and it’s been play date central over at our house. Honestly, we’re having one of the most amazing summers, and we’ve got a whole month to go! The only downside to being so social is that our my family life is so busy that I haven’t been able to share my wonderful recipes with you. Arghh, the many times I’ve baked beautiful pies, tossed delicious salads, and concocted pitchers of summer time drinks , then I dash off thinking, ” I need to post these yummies on the blog!” And that’s just my recipes. I have a few friends that are bad asses in the kitchen,so I’m going to have to hit them up for their recipes!
Here’s a lightening quick recipe that we’re had a few times over summer. I’m all for making your own pizza dough, but heck it’s summer, and when I crave pizza, and fast, I snatch an organic ready made pizza dough off the shelf. Hey, I’m only human people! Here’s a zero guilt pizza. Serve olives on the side, pour a glass of sauvignon blanc, and you’re good to go!
mesclun mix salad leaves
1/2 cup fresh arugula (also called rocket)
red onion, sliced into rounds (optional)
2 roma tomatoes, sliced
juice of half a fresh lemon
olive oil for drizzling
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
organic ready-made pizza dough (usually in the chilled section of a health food store)
1. Turn the dough out on a floured surface and rest for 2o minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400. Roll out the pizza dough to your desired shape (I prefer a long rectangle these days). Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and brush evenly to the edges with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with a handful of parmesan.
3. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the crust turns golden. If the middle puffs up in the center of the crust, pierce it with the sharp end of a knife twice and it will fall until it’s finished baking.
4. In a large mixing bowl, tip in the leaves, drizzle in a tablespoon or two of olive oil, and pour in the lemon juice. Add the sliced tomatoes. Toss the ingredients together, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Remove the crust, and allow to cool for 3 minutes. Using salad tongs, lay the salad carefully onto the pizza crust, and garnish with parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.